In order for the K9 Cancer walks to be successful and reach their fundraising goals we are asking our participants to share their passion for Morris Animal Foundation with other passionate dog lovers. Here are some tips on how to raise funds and have fun doing it!
Create a team and be the "Top Dog" in your Town!
Encourage your friend, families, and coworkers to join your team and support much needed funds for canine cancer research. You can participate in the Top Dogs Contest by raising the most money, registering the most team members or showing your spirit on event day. Start a friendly competition with the local dog groups. Who's the "Top Dog" in your town?
Update your personal page
Each participant gets your very own personal fundraising page. Be sure to update your page with photos of your best friend and personal story of why you're participating in the K9 Cancer Walk. You can also send emails encouraging your friends to participate or donate to your fundraising goal.
Sit & Stay
Encourage your out-of-town family members to Sit & Stay for their best friend. Sit & Stay registrations allows people to register for the K9 Cancer Walk from anywhere in the country so the next time your sister says “I wish I lived closer so I can participate with you” just tell them they can Sit & Stay!
Ask Your Employer
Ask your company if they would be interested in sponsoring the event (visit the sponsorship opportunities page for more details) or see if they will match the amount you raise to double your contribution. This is a great way for your company to show that they support their employees, and give back to the community they serve.
Don't Be Afraid to Ask!
Remember… you are raising funds to cure canine cancer. Most dog lovers know someone who has been affected by canine cancer, and will be willing to give to the cause – if asked. People may donate in memory of an animal lover, a beloved best friend or just because they are a passionate dog lover who wants to help dogs live longer, healthier lives. The participant center offers great tools and suggested emails to support your fundraising efforts. Make a list of all the dog people you know and start asking for their support in your crusade against canine cancer!
Post your personal or team page to your Facebook or Twitter account and ask your virtual friends to donate $10 each. You'll meet your goal in no time!
Create an Email Signature
Include a tagline and link your personal or team page to your email signature.
Every Penny Helps
Ask your favorite groomer, pet-supply store or pet boutique for permission to place a donation jar in their business. People can donate their change after their transactions, and it will add up quickly! Put a photo of your favorite breed or a flier with your team or personal story so people know whom they're donating to. Ask the business if it will match all donations raised.
Host an Event
Events are a fun way to raise money for your cause. Here are a few examples:
- Host a birthday or survivor anniversary party for your dog and ask guests to donate instead of buying gifts.
- Host a lemonade stand.
- Host a bake sale — you may even include dog treats at your bake sale.
- Organize a doggie recipe book and offer these to your friends and family members for a donation.
- Have a pet-friendly garage sale.
- Plan a sporting event such as golf, tennis, volleyball, hiking, snowshoeing or a dog-friendly activity.
- Host an intimate luncheon, dinner or wine-tasting/cocktail event and motivate others to support our mission.
- Organize a neighborhood pet parade.
- Host a "Dress Down" day at work. Employee's pay to wear jeans to work for a day.
- Host a movie night and watch your favorite animal movies.
- Host a car wash or dog wash.
- Host a “Yappy Hour” at a local bar/restaurant and ask it to donate a portion of the revenue for that night to your cause. Remind the establishment that all donations are tax deductible.
Get the word out
Help Morris Animal Foundation spread the word about the K9 Cancer Walk.
- Reach out to the fellow dog lovers you see in your local dog park.
- Ask your local vet, doctor, clinic, hospital etc. to make a small donation.
- Ask your local vet, doctor, clinic, hospital,pet-supply store, doggy day care and dog walker to post or hand out fliers to their clients.
Thank everyone who helps in any way
Don’t forget to personally thank everyone who donates to you — anyone who donates online will receive an automatic email thank you message.